0. Using Prodigies - Materials & Setup
Materials & Setup
Prodigies Music Curriculum is a combination of...
- Videos (delivered through PreschoolProdigies.com & our Prodigies Music Lessons apps
- Books (available in print through our shop, Amazon.com, or as PDFs w/ a Pro Membership)
- Instruments (colorful deskbells, Boomwhackers (TM) or keyboard-type instruments w/ color coded
- Hand-signs (simple hand motions that pair the individual musical notes, slightly modified from the Curwen hand-
- Printable posters, worksheets, elements & more
This might seem like a lot to manage, but it's actually quite simple. You'll have your app (or computer), your instrument, and possibly a workbook or songbook to work from. Then just hit play on your lesson/section of choice, and you're good to go.
3 Simple Setups You Can Model From
Let's look at 3 simple setups for using Prodigies.
1. Prodigies Videos w/ no instruments
The simplest way to use Prodigies is by playing the videos from your osTV, Roku, fireTV, etc. Your kids can sit down (or stand up) and follow along by singing and by using the Solfege Hand-Signs. For tips on using the Hand-Signs regularly, check out this article about starting with PsP Melodies.
If you have another tablet or phone to use, you can download our PsP Bells app or our Prodigies Bells app (or both!) totally free! This way you'll always have a digital instrument to work from.
You can use this simple setup of videos + hand-signs on the go with your family, in front of a large audience, or as a quick hassle-fre setup when you only have 5 minutes to kill.
2. Videos + Bells (or piano/xylo/Boomwhackers)
A step up from that, and something we of course recommend, is getting a musical instrument for your kids to play.
We recommend the Prodigies C Major Deskbells. They're durable, color-coded, well tuned & we have a 2 year, 3 bell replacement guarantee. With these bells, you'll be able to play over 250 videos inside of Prodigies!
Using a xylophone or piano will require a bit more fine motor control than the deskbells, but you can certainly use some color coded stickers to turn any instrument into a Prodigies friendly instrument.
3. Videos + Bells + Books
To really make the most of the curriculum, you'll want to combine the videos and bels with the worksheets and song sheets that go with each section.
In this setup, you've either purchased our Chapter workbooks, or you're printing the materials via your Pro Membership. And of course, you have your app for videos and your instrument as described above.
Then, when you're ready to tackle a section (like Preschool Section 1.1), you open up to that section in your workbook, search or browse your way to that video on the site/app, and follow the instructions in the book.
These generally consist of
- watch the video and playalong (maybe 2-3 times to start)
- try playing the song with the sheet music from the workbook
- complete the pencil/paper activities that follow the sheet music
- reprise the song one final time or, in the case of Primary Prodigies, check out the corresponding performance tracks, listening games or more advanced lessons (if there are any)
Whether you're in a large group or doing Prodigies for fun at, home you can use any or all of the setups above to get an effective, affordable and accessible music education with Prodigies!